Issued under the auspices of The Brotherhood of Light.
Having designated under Arcanum VII that completion and perfection of form is expressed by the number 7, and that Deity manifests thru the number 9, as exemplified by Arcanum IX, it is now proper to apply these two potent numbers to cyclic law. But first we should understand the difference in their plane of operation. The number 7 is completion of form only, and should be used on the plane of physical manifestation as a key to the concrete, formative side of nature; for all substance and all material properties have septenary expression, as exemplified by the seven notes of music, seven colors of the spectrum, and the grouping of elements in chemistry. But ideal perfection is more than mere form. It includes a set of polar opposites which give evolutionary character.
Course VI Serial #32.
Box 1525, Los Angeles, Calif.
The Sacred Tarot
Hermetic System of Names and Numbers.
By C.C. Zain
Man possesses a seven-fold constitution, and as such has a complete form, but he does not express the Divine nature, or 9, until reason and intuition are developed. The seven colors of the spectrum give formative expression to light, but to express the spiritual qualities of light also both black and white must be added, making the ideal 9. The chemical property of an element is subject to the same septenary law, being a periodic function of its atomic weight; but to reveal the spirit of the element it must be considered as positive or negative, or 9. Nine indicates completion of form and also its cause and effect, while 10 closes the cycle and commences a new round. Hence we find all cycles that evolve intelligence to be functions of the number 9, but when applied concretely to the world of effect this ideal cycle is either multiplied or divided by the number 7. And as 10 is the cyclic number, the orbit of these cycles expand or contract thru that number. All ideal cycles, those that measure intellectual and spiritual force, are solved by the key-number 9. Practical cycles that measure out magnetic and vital force and planes of environment are unlocked by the Key-number 7. And by the use of these two numbers in conjunction with the cyclic number itself, or 10, it is possible to solve the duration and influence of every cycle in nature, from the intra-atomic cycle of the electron up to the vast orbital movement of our universe.
Why are there 360 degrees in a circle? We can not say it is merely chance. A circle is obviously a cycle, therefore the number 10. It is also in nature the measure of intellectual and spiritual force, as will be observed in a study of orbital motions, either of planets or atoms. Further, such an orbit always expresses itself thru four phases, which are well recognized in the Moon's orbit as its four quarters, and in the Earth's as the four seasons, but are none the less present in all orbital motion. Therefore an orbit, or circle, is the cyclic number 10 multiplied by 4, or realization, giving 40 which is the number expressing any cycle of Realized effort. This number 40, which is the number of Minor Arcana of the Tarot, will explain all references to 40 in the Bible as periods in which Realization was fully accomplished. But an orbit, as a measure of ideals, or intellect and spirit, also is a function of the ideal number 9. 9 evolved to the 40th power is 360, meaning Wisdom (9) Realized (4) in a Cycle (10). Thus it is that any point on the earth's surface passing thru 360 degrees, or a day and night, is a measure of intellectual and spiritual force, and it will be found that people born on the same day at different hours will express very different Personalities. Also, humanity at large is influenced by this cycle, mental activity being followed by slumber.
In expressing cycles in terms of time, round numbers are used because often there are variable factors which have been spoken of in reference to the No-numbered Tarot. The most remarkable of these variations is the fact that the relation of the Day to the Year is actually 1 to 365¼ . There is a good reason for this, but suffice it here to point out that the ancients overcame this discrepancy by making their year measure 360 days, and then at the winter solstice cutting out 5 days. These five "Dies Non" were given to festivity and were not counted in their calendar. The year, or orbital motion of the earth thru 360 (3+6+0 = 9) degrees measures to humanity at large not only the variation in light and heat, but the quality of mental and spiritual influx, and it is found that people born at different times of the year express different Individualities. Further, the yearly return of the Sun by transit over its place in the birth-chart is the measure of psychic energy received by individual man. Now if we wish to find the practical operation of this force in life we divide the days of the year by 7, giving us 52 weeks. As 5+2 = 7, we know these weeks relate to practical affairs rather than to spiritual influences, and as a matter of fact man regulates his physical life by a week of 7 days. The Moon also passes thru the zodiac, and by its phases, or relation to the Sun, measures out to man magnetic expansion and contraction. This cycle is a little more than 29 days, 2 + 9 = 11, therefore the 4 quarters of the moon measure the Realization of Magnetic Force, Arcanum XI, whose operation depends on each of the 4 phases of a little more than 7 days each. And it is found people born with the Moon in different parts of its orbit have very different capacities. But there is another cycle of the Moon of greater import to the soul of man. It is the cycle of a little over 27 days during which the Moon traverses 360 zodiacal degrees. 2+7 = 9, therefore this cycle relates to intellectual and spiritual forces, and we find actually that this cycle from the Moon's transit of the Sun in the birth-chart to another such transit, measures the germination of spiritual powers and magical possibilities. By virtue of the function of 9 the movements in the heavens during the earth's diurnal motion thru 360 degrees measures out to man the Minor Events occurring during the earth's orbital motion of 360 degrees. In other words, in astrology, the chief events of life are measured at the rate of a Day for a Year; and the incidents of life at the rate of a Month for a Year, both being functions of the number 9.
The Equinox is observed to move at the rate of 1 degree in 72 years (7+2 = 9). This makes the Sun appear to retrograde thru the zodiac at the rate of 1 degree in 72 years, or 360 degrees of the complete zodiac in 72 X 360 = 25,920 years, a period which must measure unto man all the different mental and spiritual forces possible during that Great Solar Cycle. As there are 12 signs in the zodiac, the Sun will pass thru 1 sign, or Sub-Solar-Cycle in 25,920 divided by 12 = 2,160 years. This Sub-Cycle, as well as the Cycle, is a measure of intellectual and spiritual force received by humanity, for both involve to number 9. The Sun entered the zodiacal sign Aquarius by Precession in 1881 (1+8+8+1 = 18 = 9) and the Aquarian Age started in February of that year, or to be precise on the 20th of January 1881 at the instant the Sun entered Aquarius by transit. Knowing the quality of spiritual and intellectual force received by humanity is determined by the sign occupied by the Sun in its Great Solar Cycle the student can learn the comparative degree of civilization at any age, past or future by subtracting or adding multiples of 2,160 years using 1881 as a starting point. History demonstrates that during the Sun's Precession thru each sign there are a variety of practical expressions of the spirituality and mentality given by the sign. So as formative expression is ruled by the number 7 we divide each Sub-Solar-Cycle by 7 which gives a formative period of 308 years, 208½ days, Each of these periods is found to be under the dominion of one of the 7 planets. The planetary ruler of the first Period after the Sun enters a sign precessionally, is found by referring to historical events and tendencies, to be the Sun, the next ruler is observed to be Venus, then Mercury, Moon, Saturn, Jupiter, and finally Mars, in the regular order of planetary succession. These periods can be verified by anyone conversant with history.
From this information it is possible to determine the practical trend to which the intellectual forces were applied by the majority of mankind during any 308 years, past or future. If the period was ruled by the Sun it was applied to Aggrandizement of State or Empire; if by Mars, to War and Mechanics; if by the Moon, to intellectual slumber; if by Venus to Art and Luxury; if by Mercury, to Intellectual Culture; if by Saturn to Subtlety and Superstition; if by Jupiter, to Expansion and Benevolence. The Sun started his rule December 23, 1880; Mars ceasing to rule December 21, 1880; or to be precise, the Solstice of 1880 in December is the point of reckoning; from which the student can trace Periods past and Future.
The obliquity of the ecliptic is observed to be constantly changing. That is, the Pole of the earth is moving in an orbit at right angles to the diurnal revolution at the rate of 1 second every 2 years, or 1 degree in 7,200 years, the complete rotation being 7,200 X 360 = 2,592,000 years. This cycle is determined by observing geological formation to measure earth's evolutionary forces, and as it is the turning of the earth polar-wise thru 360 degrees, it is called a Polar day, just as the earth turning thru 360 degrees equator-wise is called a common day. One Polar day reasoning from analogy, is found to be the exact duration of the life-wave on the earth, and the days of Creation mentioned in Genesis were Polar days of 2,592,000 years each. The duration of the life-wave traveling around the chain of 7 planets gives perfect formative expression and develops 1 Round of Humanity, containing 7 Root-Races, taking 7 X 2,592,00 = 18,144,000 years, for the earth is the average duration. To produce 7 Rounds of humanity requires 7 X 18,144,000 = 127,008,000, or 49 Polar Days. Then comes the Jubilee of Nirvana during which nature sleeps for 7 Polar days while the life wave goes once round the septenary chain. At the commencement of the Second Series, the 7 Families, or Rounds, of 7 Root-Races each ascending to Angelic Spheres, become the parents and Guardians of the new Series. Thus man has spiritual parents as well as physical. When the Earth has born 7 Great Families, each containing 7 Rounds of 7 root-races, during a period of 7 x 7 x 7 Polar days, or 343 (3+4+3 = 10) X 2,592,000 years (2+5+9+2+000 = 18 = 9) and completed 7 Nirvanas, or slumbers of 7 Polar days each, the 8th period is brought about. That is, 7 Great cycles of fruitfulness plus 1 Great cycle of slumber constitutes the Eight Great Cycle, or Sleep of Death. Consequently the duration of the the earth's physical existence is 1,016,064,000 years. The disintegration of the earth and planets is the Solar Nirvana, during which the Sun sleeps for 127,008,000 years, and then recreates the planetary chain anew. It will be found on close study that the above cyclic periods are all functions of the number 9, which when applied to form is expressed thru functions of the number 7; and by applying these key-numbers the student will be able to determine many cycles space forbids us to mention.
In the orient these cycles were known, but carefully veiled, and few indeed knew how to remove the veil. We have explained the number 360, and it was this number the ancients used to veil their cycles, making One Divine year contain 360 common years. The Hindus, in elaborating their knowledge also used the number 10, the true cyclic number, and we are informed the Divine Maha Yug is composed of 10 Great Ages of Cali Yugs. A Cali Yug is 1,200 Divine years, or 360 X 1,200 = 432,000 common years during which the earth's Pole passes over 1/6 of its orbit of 2,592,000 years, making the sextile aspect to its own place, A Dwaper Yug is 2 Cali Yugs, 2,400 Divine Years, or 864,000 common years, during which the Pole passes over 1/3 of its orbit, making the trine aspect to its original place. A Treta Yug is 3 Cali Yugs, 3,600 Divine years, or 1,296,000 common years, during which the earth's pole passes over ½ of its orbit making the opposition to its first place. A Satya Yug is 4 Cali Yugs, 4,600 Divine years, or 1,728,000 common years during which the earth's Pole passes over 2/3 of its orbit, making the second trine to its first place. A Maha Yug is composed of 1 Cali Yug plus 1 Dwaper Yug plus 1 Treta Yug plus 1 Satya Yug, or the equivalent of 10 Cali Yugs, 12,000 Divine years, or 4,320,000 common years, during which the earth's Pole will pass a 1 2/3 times around its orbit. A Maha Yug is thus composed of 4 aspects bearing the relation of 1-2-3-4 to each other, or the number 10. And a Manwatares is 1,000 times 1 Maha Yug, during which portion of the great Kalpa the planetary chain has been disintegrated and reorganized several times.
Most students of the occult have heard of the Golden, Silver, Copper and Iron Ages of antiquity; but few have any definite idea of these periods. Strictly speaking, these ages refer primarily to the first round of humanity on any newly created planet, and secondarily to the last races previous to the life-wave leaving the planet, which are the highest states possible in any round. With the Pole at right angles to the equator there is an ideal climate in temperate zones, and this climate is not excessively severe until the Pole moves thru 4 X 9 = 36 degrees, and as the Pole moves thru 1 degree in 7,200 years, the Golden Age lasted 36 X 7,200 = 259,200 years. While the pole passed thru 3 X 9 = 27 degrees, giving the Sun a maximum declination of from 36 to 63 degrees, there were hot long days in summer and cold long days in winter. This Silver Age lasted 27 X 7,200 = 194,400 years. While the Pole passed thru 2 X 9 = 18 degrees, the Tropics reached an angle of from 63 to 81 degrees, and there were tropical summers and arctic winters on all portions of the globe. This Copper Age lasted 18 X 7,200 = 129,600 years. While the Pole was passing thru 1 X 9 = 9 degrees, the Sun was approaching its vertical position once a year to both North and South Poles, and the climatic conditions were frightful. This Iron Age lasted 9 X 7,200 = 648,000 years. These 4 Ages, related to each other as 1-2-3-4, are embraced in the time the Pole passed over one quadrant of 10 X 9 = 90 degrees, or 90 X 7,200 = 648,000 years. The correct data to determine our place in evolution is that the present Great Western Race, is one branch of the Fifth Root-Race of the 4th Round of evolution.
We have given the duration of these various cycles and indicated briefly how they are obtained, and how unlocked by 9 and 7, but must reserve their full import for a work on cycles, as the subject is too vast to be more than mentioned here. Some of these cycles we have given correctly are those oriental students claim none but their Mahatmas know. Justice compels us to point out that these cyclic figures were all in black and white in England previous to 1881, in fact they were issued in a work by T.H. Burgoyne, in January 1881, entitled, "La Clef Hermetique." Therefore these cycles were known to English occultists long before the publication of "Esoteric Buddhism" and its supposedly original doctrines. In corroboration of this the reader is referred to "Coleman's Review" of "The Secret Doctrine." These facts are conveniently ignored by those who would have it appear all esoteric knowledge comes from India. Therefore we take pleasure in giving credit where credit is due.
Letter: Egyptian, Quitolath; Hebrew, Quoph; English, Q
Astrologically: the zodiacal sign Leo.
Color: the lighter shades of orange.
Tone: high D.
Occult science: inorganic alchemy.
Human function: inspiration.
Natural remedy: such herbs as camomile, daffodil, cowslip, anise, eglantine, fennel, eyebright, dill, lavender, poppy, yellow lily, marigold, St. John's wort, mistletoe, pimpernel, parsley and chrysolite (not the glittering gem), hyacinth and soft yellow minerals.
Q-19, expresses in the Spiritual world, the supreme heaven.
In the Intellectual world, true happiness.
In the Physical world, sacred union.
Remember then , son of earth, that the light of the mysteries is a redoubtable fluid, put by nature at the service of the will; she lights those who know how to direct her; she strikes down with a thunderbolt those who ignore her power or who abuse it. If Arcanum XIX should appear in the prophetic signs of thy horoscope, happiness awaits thee in domestic life if thou knowest how to strengthen the conjugal circle and guard its sacredness in the sanctuary of the heart.
In Divination, Arcanum XIX may be read as Happiness or Joy.
Arcanum XIX is figured by a young man and a young woman holding each other by the hand. About is a radiant sun of 21 rays, in the center of which is the symbol of conjugal union. This sun is the symbol of perfect union expressed on all three planes; perfect harmony of physical desires, intellectual interests and spiritual aspirations. The young man and woman are plainly dressed, indicating simplicity of life, moderation of desires and purity of thought. The flowers springing up about them symbolize the joy and happiness of the domestic circle which more than recompenses them for material hardships. The 20 flowers signifies the potency of domestic harmony to Awaken and Resurrect the spiritual flora of the soul. This ensemble personifies the fact that when the sexes are truly wed, and the triple laws of harmony obeyed, their lives are a constant round of happiness and joy, even amid adversities and privations.
(1) Numerically, 19 is the third power of 1, or Arcanum I, Creative energy, operating on the plane of Arcanum III, or Marriage. Consequently Arcanum XIX is the application of the Divine Fire, controlled by Will and guided by Intelligence, to the elaboration of domestic bliss. It is not only the perfect nuptial union of 7, but denotes added Sacrifice and Devotion, 12 (7 + 12 = 19). It may or may not indicate the union of soul-mate but certainly indicates the union of souls harmonious on all planes, not particularly for soul development, but for the production of children and the joy of a home. Incidentally the harmonious vibrations set in motion and the sacrifices necessary in rearing offspring become the most potent factors in developing the spiritual nature.
(2) Astrologically, the house of pleasures, joy, happiness, children and love-affairs is ruled by the sign Leo. Leo governs the heart and its sympathetic emotions. It is the significator of such love as springs unselfishly unto existence as the result of natural harmony, rather than the artificial marriage that today is all too commonly prompted by motives of material advantage. This "Lion of the house of Juda" as it is called in Revelations corresponds to Arcanum XIX
(3) Inspiration means indrawing of spirit. The source of all life and energy and spiritual power is the Sun, and he is the true source of inspiration. Leo is the home of the Sun, the heart center of man, thru which the Sun exerts its strongest inspirational power. Leo corresponds to the capacity for inspiration. Love is acknowledged to open inspirational gates, symbolized by the Sun overshadowing the lovers in XIX.
(4) Alchemically, Arcanum XIX represents the first draught of the true Elixir of Life. Perpetual youth is not obtained in an instant even by partaking of the coveted Elixir; but is a gradual change that takes place in those who drink of the Eternal Fountain.
(5) In the Bible, Arcanum XIX represents the increase of oil by Elisha:- 2 Kings, 4:6 "And it came to pass, when the vessels were full, that she said unto her son, Bring me yet a vessel." Also 2 Kings 4:17 "And the woman conceived, and bare a son at that season that Elisha had said unto her, according to the time of life." Math. 5:9. "Blessed are the peacemakers; for they shall be called the children of God." Rev. 22:17. "And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst, Come; and whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely."
(6) In Masonry, Arcanum XIX is the basis of the Intendant of the Building degree in which the vacancy left by Hiram, the lost soul-mate is filled. As the third power, or marriage function of the creative 1, it is mentioned in the first Masonic degree:- "Behold how good and how pleasant it is for the brethren to dwell together in unity! etc." Arcanum XIX is the Lion's paw grip by which Hiram Abiff is finally raised.
(7) In Magic, Arcanum XIX represents the sanctity of the home circle, within whose harmonious protection, when maintained sacredly pure, there is safety from all forces of evil. Inversive intelligences do their utmost to discourage domestic life and the rearing of children. It is even taught in some quarters that a woman who bears children forfeits her chance of spiritual attainment in this life; and not until she reincarnates again and lives a non-child-bearing life can she expect to make much spiritual progress. This is a perversion of the Truth, Spiritual progress depends upon love and unselfishness, and anything that stimulates these two qualities develops the soul. The love of parents for their offspring is often the one saving grace of their lives, keeping the inward affectional fires burning, whose warmth transmitted to the soul keeps it from sinking into the icy death of selfishness. The bearing of children on earth corresponds to sacred functions in the spiritual world. While true that certain economic conditions, artificially created, as well as pronounced discord in certain portions of the birth chart, may prohibit bringing children into the world thru not being able to give them adequate care and healthy bodies, yet such conditions contravene nature and is a loss of valuable experience to the soul. It is shown by afflictions in the birth-chart and should be considered an affliction rather than a meritorious result. A childless life is a disadvantage in soul development that will require much sympathetic and unselfish effort devoted to mankind as a whole to counteract.
Current science has spent much effort in perfecting animals thru proper breeding, and the results have been most successful. But moderns neglect to apply the same principles to the production of superior race of humanity. Nor will physical eugenics alone avail much: for there are mental and spiritual laws as well as physical that enter into the generation of beings that are mental and spiritual in addition to having physical bodies. The ancient Magi, more interested in the production of a superior race of humanity, studied these mental and spiritual laws and by following certain rules produced a race of spiritual giants and intellectual geniuses to whom we are indebted for most of our knowledge of occultism. Here is a summery of those rules:- 1. There must be complete harmony between husband and wife in physical temperament,mental balance, and spiritual aspiration. 2. There should be perfect continence for a period of from 21 to 49 days, cleanliness of person, pure thoughts, domestic harmony, lefty aspirations and prayerful devotions. 3. There must be perfect sympathy and unanimous desires, and during this preparatory period the daily mental picturing by both of the same predetermined mental and spiritual qualities desired to be given the offspring. 4. This mental picture must be held during union and directed by the Will to the conception of the ideal child at the simultaneous moment of love's intensest expression by both. These 4 rules are followed by a fifth; for we are told the thoughts and aspirations of the mother after conception, particularly before quickening, have a power to contract or expand the powers of the unborn child:- 5. During gestation the mother should think only lofty and loving thoughts, and refrain from thinking about or looking at anything repulsive, impure, degrading or discordant . And as a warning, we point out that these rules were followed by the Magi only to bring children into the world naturally endowed with mental and spiritual powers and noble characters. There is today an oriental sect who teach these rules may be followed to gain certain powers for the participants, but this is a delusion leading to ruin. Conjugal harmony is a most potent means of naturally developing soul powers thru its responsive awakening of the higher nobler impulses and the gradual intensifying of the vibrations. But to direct the Will to any selfish purpose whatsoever at that time is to contact realms that possess force, but become vampires to the soul. The so-called sex practices taught in many occult schools are without exception abominations, and can confer no real lasting power. Marriage has but two legitimate objects- the production of children and the elaboration of conjugal happiness; both of which incidentally are the most potent factors in soul development when nature's laws are not perverted.
Children, as commonly conceived and born, are human. But under exceptional conditions inhuman beings are incarnated in human bodies. About the planet on which we live are seven grades of aerial races that are neither elementals nor elementaries, but possess a powerful affinity for man. Where the animal propensities of the parents are large, the father inflamed with drink and vile passion and the mother filled with repugnance and loathing disgust, it is frequent that the conception under such conditions is that of one of these aerial beings who has no claim to a human soul. In spite of intelligence and cunning the Neros of history were but incarnations of inhuman monsters. Sickly, nervous, sensitives are also sometimes obsessed by elementaries who use their bodies to again enjoy the excitement of their lustful passions; and under such conditions if conception tales place inhuman incarnation is the result. It is also possible for a woman, particularly before the foetus quickens, to magnetically attach an elementary to her human child thru some extreme burst of animal passion, and it will obsess the child thruout life.
(8) In the soul's pilgrimage Arcanum XIX represents the union with the true soul-mate. We do not mean the physical carnal contact, for this is not a necessity for initiation. In fact at the present day soul mates seldom meet and in so far as all common requirements are concerned the marriage of harmonious souls forms the requisite symphony for spiritual development and progress. At the present time there is altogether too great a tendency to discard a former partner for a new one under the impression the soul-mate has been found. This is another inversion of a great truth, and a sad one; for the majority mistake magnetic attraction for soul affinity, and only those of considerable soul development are capable of true recognition. The union of soul-mates to which Arcanum XIX corresponds is purely spiritual, the blend taking place in the spaces often unconsciously while the body is sound asleep, all recollection of it usually vanishing upon awakening. Once the spiritual bond is formed its power is never lost, and they will ultimately become reunited as the two portions of One Ego, if not in this world, then in the next.
(9) Inorganic alchemy is the science of transmuting baser metals into those of greater value, such as the production of metallic gold from other minerals as indicated by Arcanum XIX.
Letter: Egyptian, Rasith; Hebrew, Resh; English, R
Astrologically: the Moon
Occult science: spiritual alchemy.
Human function: the Divine Soul.
Natural remedy: hydro-therapy.
Mineral: the metal silver.
R- 20, expresses in the Spiritual world, the immortality of the Soul.
In the Intellectual world, the judgement of Conscience.
In the Physical world, unexpected elevation.
Remember then, son of earth, that all fortune is changeable, even that which appears most stable. The ascension of the soul is the fruit that it should draw from its successive trials. Hope in suffering, but mistrust thyself in prosperity. If Arcanum XX should appear in the prophetic signs of thy horoscope, fall not aspleep, either in idleness or forgetfulness; for thou hast a mission to accomplish which providence will reveal when thou art prepared to receive it.
In Divination Arcanum XX may be read as Awakening or Resurrection.
Arcanum XX is figured by a Sarcophagus on whose side is pictured a scarab. Above this tomb a genie sounds a trumpet, whereupon it opens and a man, woman and child rise from it still dressed in their winding sheet. The sarcophagus is the tomb thru which man ascends to higher life. The scarab is symbol of the immortality of the soul. The genie blowing the trumpet is the call to ascend to higher spheres. A man, woman, and child rise to indicate immortality depends upon the trinity of positive and negative soul-monads united by their Deific Ego, whose innocence is represented as a child. The tomb is the physical body which confines the soul while it develops its powers thru the sacred function of social life in human form; after which it ascends to interior planes to return to earth no more. The trinity rises to new life indicting there are family ties in the spiritual world as well as in the physical, and opportunities for family experience, tho under very different conditions. This ensemble symbolizes the immortal flight of the human soul out of matter.
(1) Numerically, 20 is the third power of 2, or Arcanum II operating on the plane of Arcanum III, being the Occult Science of Marriage. In the King's chamber of the Great Pyramid in Egypt is found a lidless Sarcophagus, symbolizing the soul's flight from the body, but no sarcophagus is found in the Queen's chamber for they recognized man and woman as the two immortal portions of a Single Divine Ego.
(2)The Moon governs magnetically all periods of gestation, and is the mother of all life. Life on earth, or in the physical body, is but the period of gestation in the womb of matter that precedes birth into spiritual life. It is the Divine soul of man that quickens with the spirit while still encased in physical darkness, and finally its sub-lunar development completed, bursts the bonds of matter and enters into the higher world of spirit. The Moon corresponds to Arcanum XX.
(3) The Spirit Ego is eternal, but the Divine Soul alone is immortal. What the Ego is to the Soul, the Sun is to the Moon. The Divine Soul is the portion of man that evolves thru matter and attains self-conscious immortal life, as signified by Arcanum XX.
(4) Alchemically, Arcanum XX is the rejuvenessence [sic] that comes from repeated draughts of the Elixir of Life. Youth is renewed and there is promise of its being eternal, but the Great Work, while under way and prospering, is not yet entirely completed.
(5) In the Bible the trinity of beings rising from the Sarcophagus of Arcanum XX is mentioned thus- John 21:14. "This is now the third time that Jesus shewed himself to his disciples, after he was risen from the dead." Following which we learn from Luke 24:51. "And it came to pass while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven." These ascensions are partly explained in Rev. 20:6. "Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power." When those who have attained actual adeptship have completed their earthly mission, a process of refinement takes place that voluntarily liberates the physical atoms of their body. It is really a physical dissolution by which they become inhabitants of the spiritual world without the usual process of death. This voluntary ascension to a higher state of evolution is plainly stated in the instances of Elijah and Jesus, and is inferred to have been the case with Moses - Deut. 34:6. "But no man knoweth of his sepulcher unto this day. And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died; his eye was not dim, nor his natural forces abated." At physical dearth, or the first death as it is called in Revelations, the physical and electro-magnetic forms separate from the astral body which becomes the vehicle of the soul. On the case of the adept this separation from the two outer envelopes is gradual and voluntary, but with the ordinary person it occurs at death and the body, and electro-magnetic form which vitalizes the body are left to disintegrate thru the action of the elements. The first resurrection is the awakening of the soul in the astral realm to its possibilities of progress for life there affords ample opportunities to those who have been unable to acquire essential experiences on earth. But the astral from is no more eternal than the physical, except in degree, therefore there comes a time when the Divine soul must have sufficient development to function in the Spiritual body or perish. This is the second death, at which the astral body and animal soul disintegrate, just as at physical death the physical and electro-magnetic forms disintegrated. Those whose spirituality is active do not sink into the dreary lethargy explained under Arcanum XIII, and mentioned in Rev. 20:5. "But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished." They set about freeing themselves from bondage to the perishable animal soul, so that the second death has no power; and they undergo the second resurrection in full consciousness. In the case of the Adept, the second death is a voluntary transition, when he has accomplished his work, from astral to spirit life.
(6) In Masonry, Arcanum XX is the basis of the Perfect Master degree. It is symbolized by the sprig of cassia, sign of immortality, that was found on the grave of Hiram. It is more fully exemplified by the coffin with a five-pointed star on the lid, and leaning over it a sprig of cassia. In the ritual it is the raising of Hiram Abiff from his grave. It is attempted to raise Hiram three times, as symbolized by the three persons rising out to the tomb of Arcanum XX. The first Two efforts are unsuccessful, and his resurrection is only accomplished by means of the Lion's paw grip, or Arcanum XIX
(7) In Magic Arcanum XX corresponds to the influence of spooks, shades and phantoms on human life. Spooks are really elemental beings such as frequently control mediums; but there is another class, called planetary angels by some, who are bright, intelligent, magnetic elementals; are powerless to control man, and are too pure to practice deceit. These are the familiars of certain occultists whom they instruct by visions and impression. Shades and phantoms are the astral forms of those who once lived on earth. Shells are merely the electro-magnetic forms of the dead, as lifeless and unintelligent as the corpse to which they are attached, and dissolve as it disintegrates. They hover near the dead body and can not be drawn away from it or re-galvanized, as some claim who wish to disparage belief in true spirit communication.
(8) In the soul's initiation Arcanum XX represents the awakening of the soul to angelic states above the spiritual that comes from conscious communion with its mate and their mutual Ego.
(9) Spiritual Alchemy, which corresponds to Arcanum XX, is the science of transmuting mental into spiritual force, resulting in the realization of higher states of consciousness.
The Magic Cross.
In this spread the cards are shuffled and cut as usual, then five cards are dealt in a straight line from left to right, and eight cards in a vertical line crossing the horizontal row at right angles, as illustrated in frontispiece. Thus while there are really only 13 cards in the spread, there are 5 in the horizontal line and 9 in the vertical line, making 14, the double 7 of regeneration, explaining the mystery of the cross, 13 being death on the cross, and 14 the rosy-cross of life. Cards marked on the diagram 1 and 2 are read as the past, 6 and 7 are hopes and expectations, 4 and 5 are the opposition and adversaries, 3 is the present where all factors meet to give birth to the future: 8,9,10,11,12, and 13 represents the future so conceived.
Branch of Science:- Kabbalism.
Subject - The Sacred Tarot.
1. On what date did the Aquarian Age start?
2. What is the cycle measuring to individual man the minor incidents of life?
3. What is the nature of the force measured out to man by the phases of the Moon?
4. What is the character of the force measured out to man by the revolution of the earth in its orbit about the Sun?
5. How many phases does any orbit usually express in an pronounced manner?
6. What number solves all ideal cycles that measure intellectual and spiritual force?
7. What are Shells?
8. What is meant by the second death?
9. What planet governs the period of gestation?
10. Do those who bring children into the world forfeit the right to spiritual progress?
11. What is the Solar Nirvana?
12. What is the force measured to humanity by the Sub-Solar Cycle of 2,160?
13. What is the nature of the force measured to man by the Moon in its orbit about the zodiac in a little over 27 days?
14. What is the significance of the number 40?
15. What number solves the practical cycles that measure magnetic and vital force?
16. Do magnetic elementals deceive or control man?
17. What is signified in the bible by asserting of Moses that: "no man knoweth of his sepulcher unto this day?
18. What is symbolized by the tomb from which the man, woman and child of Arcanum XX. arise?
19. What is the divinatory significance of Arcanum XX?
20. What race of what round of evolution is the present Great Western Race?
21. What is the divinatory significance of Arcanum XIX?
22. What is meant by a Polar Day?
23. At what rate does the Equinox move by Precession?
24. What is the astrological cycle measuring to man the chief events of life?
25. What is the energy measured to man by the rotation of the earth on its axis?
26. What is a Divine Year?
27. How is the planetary period of the Sub-Solar Cycle, 308 years, 208 ½ days obtained?
28. How many cards are dealt in the Magic Cross Spread?
29. What does the card where the two factors of the cross join signify in the Magic Cross Spread?